Howdy, pals! This summer season, there will likely be one other chautauqua on monetary independence in Ecuador. It is best to think about attending. These Ecuador chautauquas — that are unrelated to the European chautauquas — are all the time a enjoyable, academic, and bonding expertise.
Clarification: Sooner or later, chautauqua founders Cheryl Reed and JL Collins parted methods. Now JL runs the European chautauquas — that are on hiatus — with Katie and Alan Donegan. Cheryl continues to run the unrelated Ecuador gatherings. Each occasions are glorious.
I typically communicate in regards to the intersection of cash and that means after I attend.
How are you going to discover goal in your life — with or without cash? How a lot cash is sufficient? What do you have to do after you have achieved monetary independence? These are the kinds of questions I’ve explored at previous chautauqua occasions. I count on these are the identical questions being explored in July.
Audio system this yr embrace:
- Tanja Hester from Our Subsequent Life. Tanja is an outspoken voice within the personal-finance neighborhood, working laborious to problem assumptions and to advertise monetary freedom for all. She’s the creator of the superb Work Elective and the award-winning Pockets Activism. (Tanja can be a fellow office-supply nerd. Significantly, our chat historical past is crammed with geeky discussions of favourite pens and notebooks.)
- Piggy and Kitty (a.okay.a. Jess and Lauren) from Bitches Get Riches. Lengthy-time readers know that BGR is one in all my favourite cash blogs. I like how Jess and Lauren mix biting humor with deep dives into personal-finance matters. Not a simple job. And the Bitches are simply as humorous in particular person as they’re on the net. (I flip to Piggy and Kitty after I need assistance with fashionable popular culture. “What does S-tier imply?” “How do I make a Taylor Swift animated GIF?”)
- Jessica and Corey from The Fioneers. Whereas I’ve met Jessica and Corey, I’ve by no means actually had an opportunity to get to know them. I am keen to vary that in Ecuador. I discover their writing thought of and considerate. I am notably keen on their idea of Sluggish FI, the notion that you should utilize “the incremental monetary freedom [you] acquire alongside the journey to monetary independence to reside happier and more healthy lives, do higher work, and construct robust relationships”. This meshes nicely with my very own imaginative and prescient of the levels of monetary freedom. (Final Halloween, Jessica and Corey printed an interview with me: Cash would not magically repair our issues.)
And, after all, we’ll take pleasure in a presentation from our host, Cheryl Reed. Cheryl based these cash chautauquas with JL Collins in 2013 and she or he’s hosted ten of them previously. She likes to debate happiness and pleasure and the way to develop it in your life.
If you happen to’re excited by attending this chautauqua, you could find extra data on the official web site. Observe that there are two gatherings in Ecuador this yr. If it would not work to hitch this one, maybe you possibly can attend the second occasion.
Every chautauqua is completely different, after all, however the 4 earlier retreats I’ve attended all had similarities:
- Attendees collect at a resort for every week of dialog and camaraderie. These are smallish services that enable us to spend time along with few different visitors. We eat and drink collectively. We stroll collectively. We play video games collectively. We speak about cash collectively. We’ve enjoyable!
- Every day, one (or extra) of the presenters provides a speak about a topic expensive to her coronary heart. (I speak about cash and that means, as an illustration.) These are l-o-n-g shows however they’re enjoyable, interactive, and informative.
- Every attendee meets one-on-one with a presenter. What you do with that point is as much as you. I’ve had folks deliver detailed spreadsheets and questions on retirement. I’ve had folks chat with me about journey. I’ve had folks ask for relationship recommendation (no joke!). Typically talking, it is an opportunity so that you can choose an individual’s mind about some kind of matter associated to their space of experience.
- There are numerous (non-compulsory) off-site journeys to go to the native space. In Portugal, we visited a vineyard. In Ecuador, we have visited thriving markets, chocolate factories, and butterfly preserves.
From what I’ve seen, nonetheless, the actual worth is within the friendships shaped throughout these weeks. A lot of our time is spent sitting collectively discussing life, the universe, and every thing.
I am nonetheless involved with of us from every of the chautauquas I’ve attended previously. A few of these of us have develop into shut pals with whom I’ve frequent contact. (Our 2016 crew — the Werewolf Hunters — even rented a home in Utah for an in-person reunion. We go to one another each time we’re in one another’s cities and have a semi-active group chat.)
I can not promise that you’re going to type life-long pals throughout this week, however from what I’ve seen, the percentages are good. And no surprise. You are gathering with a gaggle of like-minded folks to speak about some deep, private topics. Bonding is certain to happen.
Listed below are a number of favourite photographs from previous chautauquas…
These chautauquas aren’t for everybody, and I do know that. However they’re good occasions for a sure class of individuals. If you happen to assume that you are a kind of folks, hop on over to the web site to check out the main points. Perhaps I will see you in Ecuador this summer season!
Another fast notice: I just lately joined my pal Grant Sabatier on the Earn & Make investments podcast for a dialogue about cash burnout. These conversations with Grant and Doc G are all the time entertaining and enlightening.